Friday, January 8, 2016

I'm exhausted.

I am. 
It was the first week back from break, and man, we were all in

I could tell you about how difficult it was to wake up everyday.
I could tell you about scary budget cuts. 
I could tell you about all the struggles of getting MacBooks ready for ACCESS and everything our ESL staff has done to help. 
I could. But it's not why I'm exhausted. 

Instead, I'll tell you that on Monday, my team and I came together and worked on some thematic units we're really excited about. We're growing as teachers and as a team because our strengths really do compliment each other's.

On Tuesday, I was greeted with endless hugs and stories about winter break adventures as I reunited with a full class of kids I was so excited to see. 
During the week, as we continued our work with nonfiction reading and main idea- it was as if we had never left for break. The kids were on their game! We began laying down some ground work for a very fun animal life cycle unit that I cannot wait to share with you all once it's complete. 

I'll tell you that my students groan when it's time to stop writing. Usually, I'd stress out about groaning in the classroom. But in moments like these, I can't help but smile. 

They're rocking finding key details for their life cycle stages!
They sit on that comfy chair more than I ever will. 


Ill tell you that we began The One and Only Ivan as a read-aloud and the laugh we had when Mrs. Carrera walked in just as I was explaining what a "me-ball" is. Third graders love hearing teachers say poop.

I'll tell you about a super successful #D100Chat that allows teachers across the district to connect, share ideas, and most importantly, spread positivity. I look forward to these so much. I also participated in two other Twitter Chats this week!

I'll tell you that as 16 of my students enjoyed a dance party reward for completing winter break activities, two stayed behind. Not once did they pout or moan about staying in the room with me. We had just enough time to go through their multiplication exit slips from the day before. Do you know how quickly students can learn with only one other student and a quiet room?? Who knew! 

Teaching is exhausting- but completely fulfilling. I focus all my energy into those 19 little souls every day because I love what I do. I love my school. I love the people I work with. I LOVE the kids. 

So I am lying in bed with my two little monsters and my feet hurt.  I'm ready for bed. 

But I'm already excited to see what next week will bring. 



1 comment:

  1. Love it! Exhausting week but staying positive helps bring in energy you never thought you had!!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete