Friday, January 1, 2016

New Year, New Blog, #oneword

Well, its something about this time of year that pushes people to self-reflect and make goals. That bug did not escape me. This time, its manifesting itself in the form of a blog. 

Writing has never been my strong suit but it seems I'm constantly having conversations with myself in my head, so I might as well start writing them down. I'm also starting this blog in hopes of sharing ideas and communicating with peers - about life, teaching, and essentially just growing as humans. 

With that said, let me share a little about myself: From a very young age, I knew I wanted to be a teacher. I taught my little sister how to read when she was four years old, I was eight. My mom bought me a book called What Your Third Grader Needs To Know and I taught lessons off of it on a whiteboard in my basement. So when the time came to go to college and pick a major, I did what any college kid would do- go with the money, not the passion. So for a semester I was a business major at Northern Illinois. Long story short- the major didn't work out, neither did NIU, so I made my way back to the city and started my education journey at UIC. Today, I am a second year teacher in the fabulous South Berwyn, Il where I have the pleasure to teach 19 energetic third graders. 

I am also very lucky to have two little ones of my own.
Aaliyah, 5, and Mikey, 1.
If you think my hands are full,
you should see my heart.

So to the point of this post. We just rang in the new year, and thoughts of resolutions and goals and reflecting have been swimming through my mind all day. I'm not making a resolution this year- I always break them. I am jumping on the #oneword bandwagon. 
My one word to focus on for the year is: Progress. 
Every day I will make an effort to progress from where I was the day before, baby steps, that will slowly get me to a better place personally, and professionally. Hopefully this blog works as a constant reminder of my word. 

Share your #oneword!

Theresa


3 comments:

  1. Welcome to this amazing world of blogging, you're going to love it! Your word is great, and it's a perfect fit with this new space for reflection. Love that caption on the picture of your kiddos!
    Happy New Year!
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Michelle! Glad to be part of the D100 bloggers tribe :)

      Delete
  2. Thank you for inspiring me to start my own blog as well! Progress totally fits you! You are helping others progress in their professional lives as well. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete